How to 'hotlink' pictures for blogs and forum posts
I see this question come up a lot "How do I put a picture into a blog or a forum post without uploading it?"
Well it's quite simple really and it's called "Hot-linking"
As an example I am going to use a picture that has already been put into someone's gallery (no point in uploading the picture twice)
This is how I do it in FireFox, other browsers may differ
First go to the picture you want to post, right click on it and a context menu appears, select 'copy image location'
Next, when you are writing your blog or forum post at the point you want to put the picture in, look up the top of the edit box, there is an icon that looks like a tree, click that.
This will bring up the image/insert box, right click in the insert 'Image URL' field and from your context menu select 'paste' then select insert
And hey presto
This works for externally hosted pictures as well, all you need is the location of the image.
I can go to my photobucket account, select an image and paste it here, voila
I hope that helps some of you
Oh and a word of caution, if you are going to "hotlink" someone else's picture off of this site or a picture on a server/account you don't own, make sure you have the owners permission to do so, if you don't they could do what I do.
When I find someone hotlinking to my pictures hosted externally without permission I change the picture they are linking to, to something they didn't expect or want to see.
- What you've all been waiting for - Fujifilm XF23mm F1.4 R real-world samples gallery http://t.co/l90Z0cj6hb via @DPReview
- A set of Spring shots in early December? Well, this #Fujifilm #F550EXR owner does live Down Under... http://t.co/jh3rhBrINz
- #Fujifilm #XS1 sinks to new low... and gets a great autumnal image as a result - take a look! http://t.co/hCKdPmjd6Y
- RT @CHLOEJASMINEW: @Fujifilm_UK 'Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs..' Shakespeare @CHLOEJASMINEW http://t.co/ywKf8Qpz1J
- What do @techradar think of the Fujifilm X-E2? Read their full review here http://t.co/vAlVLveFBq #XE2