Post Processing - Replace A Sky In Photoshop
At some point or other we have all taken a picture with a great subject but with a blown out sky, making the pic a little drab. In this tutorial i'll show you how to replace a sky with relative ease using Photoshop, I use CS5 but any version of photoshop should suffice.
Below is my original image before any processing work.
Load the image into photoshop and then find a suitable sky to fit the area you need to replace, open this as a separate image in photoshop. I have chosen the below sky to use as a replacement.
Using the rectangular marque tool drag out an area on the sky that you would like to use on your own picture. Copy the section using 'Ctrl + C' then go back to your original image and paste the clip using 'Ctrl + V'. You should end up with the below or something very similar.
Now you need to 'double click' with your mouse on the new sky layer in the 'Layers Palette' to the right. This will bring up a box called 'Layer Style', see below and using the slider shown, slide over to the right.
The below image shows where my slider ended up to give me the result I wanted, depending on your image and the sky you use it could be a different position.
What you'll notice when you are adjusting the slider is the sky layer will contract to cover the blown sky, if you have any grey buildings in your shot as mine then you may have to erase some blue dots as you are blending the sky with white/light grey colours and sometimes the blue sky comes through on the building itself.
Below is the finished image after some levels and curves adjustments to get the look I wanted.
Hope I could be of help to someone.
- Trip up The Shard is the 'high' light for this #Fujifilm #F100fd owner's whistle-stop #London tour http://t.co/J965KOuVxV
- Totally prepared for Saturday morning long-run #XP200 http://t.co/AK00teL6pW
- Looks like this #Fujifilm #S6500fd owner's talen has really blossomed now Spring has arrived http://t.co/zfp5aqeu2p
- RT @PhotoMadd: @fujifilm_uk love the macro mode of the X20. This bluebell was literally touching the lens! http://t.co/J8UQuGZh48
- "Why I love this picture" by @kevin_mullins http://t.co/ioF26ii0lp #candid #xpro1 #wedding