Photoshop sharpening without the horrible grainy and contrasty effect.
Here is a very basic sharpening method, but it is the chosen method of many professional photographers. Why? Because it sharpens the image without degrading the image like other methods do.
With your image open in photoshop, you first of all need to convert it to Lab Colour, by going to "Image/Mode/Lab colour"
Now go to your channel pallet and select the "Lightness" layer
With the lightness layer highlighted, go to Filters/Sharpen/unsharp Mask and adjust the sliders for optimal sharpness of your image
Once done, change your colour mode back to RGB by going to Image/Mode/RGB
As you can see below, the difference between original, standard sharpening, and this method, are quite noticeable.
Original at 100% crop
Basic unsharp mask/sharpening method
Lab colour sharpening method
And the full image before and after:
Tutorial and images © Chris Hodgson
- So it might be warmer now, but it wasn't long ago that it was Baltic, as this #Fujifilm #S9600 owner's blog proves! http://t.co/sNVjkZe48E
- Sending one of these (mic, not camera) to @geekanoids to have a play with and let us know what they think http://t.co/oMdKC1XbZX
- Not quite sure how this #Fujifilm #HS10 managed to stop this fast-moving subject in its tracks - that's some skill! http://t.co/I2Vz8rGj80
- Perfect for British weather... http://t.co/CcYvg6Zr3b #rain #waterproofcamera http://t.co/K7E42nz2LZ
- @Lensflaredave the best kind ;-)