Extreme competition winners - why they won
It's that time of the month again where you get a brief glimpse into the minds of myself and Gladys as we reveal the thinking behind the three successful competition images! As always, it was a tough decision but I trust you'll agree that all three images are worthy winners. Here's why we picked them - I hope that it helps you with your future competition entries.
First place: For once, Gladys and I were in complete agreement that this was our winner. This long exposure technique is very popular at the moment (essentially, you need some wire wool, a piece of string and a battery) so full marks to Nigel Thomas for making the most of it. On top of the main subject, we both really liked the urban background which, we felt, added an extra dimension to the shot. From the subject itself through to the technique used to capture it, no other shot embodied the Extreme theme as well as this one.
Second place: Taken at an extreme shutter speed and using an extreme viewpoint, this is a great action shot. Full marks to Tynetoons for having the bottle to get their camera at the heart of the action. Gladys was a big fan of the colours, while I loved the look on the rider's face - close your eyes and hope for the best!
Third place: A relatively simple shot, but very effective. Love the low angle and the fact that the swan has its bill as close to the lens as possible! But it's actually what's behind the main subject in Amanda R's shot that really completes this image. The birds and lake in the background contextualise the image perfectly.
- Interesting SanDisk UHS - II speed test by @kevin_mullins on the Fujifilm#XT1 http://t.co/A0Q5SgyYGx
- A day trip out with the #XT1 and #xf23mm lens, read @davemcclelland first full blog here: http://t.co/qfLgVufv1H
- We love the colour and composition here! MT @xenocapin: "Colored Glass Tower" X-Pro1 + Fujinon XF 18/2 http://t.co/sJ13p69QYy
- Fashion on location with @bertstephani using the #Fujifilm #XT1 via @KageCollective http://t.co/hpRqhlRPgZ
- After a month with the #Fujifilm #XT1 what does photojournalist @petemaro think? http://t.co/gixZ4VosHq