You are not logged in

Login

FinePix X100

Twitter

Follow

MFP Facebook

FujiShop

Fujifilm digital cameras, accessories, memory cards all sold direct from Fujifilm UK

Get involved!

Yipeeeeee!

After 6 months of using a card reader, I have at last found out how to upload my picture straight from my Eos 300D dslr camera, (I also own a Fuji 6500fd)

The canon website had no vista or drivers and was no help at all when I contacted them.

Loads of othe people have the same problem, the card readers are fast, and dont drain the battery, but I was woried about plugging in and out the compact flash card every time I wanted to upload shots, (all those little connectors could get broke).

0 people like this.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 11:00
Comment

I agree Paul - I always do mine straight from the camera and in fact my Sony manual recommends this way - stating precisiely that - the pins are in danger of becoming bent. You should have asked!!! I am always telling folk to use this method but I am warned that if the battery runs out whilst the upload is taking place then I will lose all pictures*. I get a message if the battery is too low - but I check it anyway. Just bought a Sandisk Extreme III card - and it is so fast!!

* Should have added 'warned by George' not Sony!!!

Now is the time to say Goodbye, now is the time to yield a sigh, Now is the time to wend our way, until we meet again some sunny day - Goodbye...........

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 10:34
Comment

If you are talking about SD or xd cards (any with flat edge connections rather than pins), the chances of damaging the connector are much smaller than the potential disaster of the battery going flat in mid transfer. This is a real possibility with a big card and a battery in an unknown state of charge, or a battery that has got a bit weary!

Does your Sony use CF cards, or some kind with actual pins, Angie? Even so, I would just be more careful putting the card in and out rather than risk the major corruption that can occur with power loss in mid-transfer!

George

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 11:01
Comment

It is a CF card George and we have had this converstaion many times. The manual recommends the method I use. If the battery is even slightly low there is a warning message, but I always check it anyway. The transfer for around 80 RAW and 80 Jpegs (as it takes both at the same time) is around 2 minutes. And that was on the slower card. The faster card could do 3 times that in the same time.

Now is the time to say Goodbye, now is the time to yield a sigh, Now is the time to wend our way, until we meet again some sunny day - Goodbye...........

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 11:25
Comment

No doubt that CF cards have a potential problem, and I'm sure you religioulsy check the state of your battery Angie (I do remember giving awful warnings before!). Your transfers are quite quick, but a post-holiday transfer of many hundreds of shots would be a bit slower - no problem IF you check the battery!

But for the less meticulous, I give the warning again - your battery going flat in the middle of a transfer is DISASTROUS!

George

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 12:56
Comment

Yep! its a safe move to leave the CF card in the camera, heard lots of other people on other forums saying the same about the pins bending and breaking off. It only takes one to break and its off to the repair shop and a costly bill.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 13:07
Comment

Have you considered one of these card adaptors, best of both worlds.

http://www.camerahacker.com/Sony/MSAC-MCF1N.shtml

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 13:12
Comment

Clint - I have no worries about doing the transfer from the camera. I dislike card readers so thanks for the suggestion but I am happy to leave it as 'Every Which Way But Loose'!

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 14:48
Comment

LOL!!!  I know these adaptors are supplied with the newer A200 don't know if they came with your A100. Just a thought.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 11/05/2009 - 15:25
Comment

Paul, they even do a SD to CF adapter the adaptor stays in the camera around a tenner.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 14/05/2009 - 21:57
Comment

i never ever use the camera to download images. If you do it properly u are in no danger of breaking pins. I would much rather risk breaking a pin than accidentally knocking the camera off the desk or tripping over the wire and yanking the cable.  leading to a potentially greater problem than breaking a pin........... if you dont really care what you are doing then  yeah u could break a pin, but as the card only goes in one way and its a real snug fit to ensure this doesnt happen then the risk is only down to how hashy u are with your gear.

I dont know many photographers who advocate leaving the card in the camera, its just not feasible if you are doing  weddings etc. even 4 gb cards get filled up pretty damn quickly when shooting in RAW

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 15/05/2009 - 08:42
Comment

Thankfully I have no idea what people are talking about.  Blissful ignorance.  If you don't know you can't worry about it!

The more I learn, the more the world frightens me.

Jen xx

Jen xx

I wish I was a Glow Worm, a Glow Worm's never glum, 'cause how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/competition/entry/711234

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 22/05/2009 - 12:09
Comment

Angie, just a thought.  If you download direct from the camera, why not get a mains power adapter for the camera then there would be no worries about the battery going flat. 

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 22/05/2009 - 12:25
Comment

Hi Mike - personally I don't have any worries - the battery is a specific Sony battery - not a 4 AA's or similar, and it does last a long while. But as I check before I start .... others seem to have more concern than I do Mike. How're ya doing? Pop in more often - we need more hands on the pump here to get all the niblicks sorted. At the mo I am trying to get my head round a manual lens on my DSLR - seems to be O.K. so I may well be searching for more of the same at a fraction of the cost.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 16/06/2009 - 22:04
Comment

Have you considered one of these card adaptors, best of both worlds.

http://www.camerahacker.com/Sony/MSAC-MCF1N.shtml

I just looked at this link, but I'm puzzled as to how this adaptor would help - since the memory card is inserted into the side of the adaptor, you would surely have to remove the adaptor from the camera in order to put the memory card in or take it out.  How can removing/inserting an adaptor be any safer than removing/inserting a CF card?  Puzzled