You are not logged in

LoginRegister

FinePix X100

Twitter

Follow

MFP Facebook

FujiShop

Fujifilm digital cameras, accessories, memory cards all sold direct from Fujifilm UK

Get involved!

s5 pro or new, and am I ready?

I have had my first camera a year this month (HS10) and have enjoyed it daily, 50,000+ shots so far - Trial and error accounted for.

For the last 3 months I have only used the camera in (M) Manual setting and manual focus as i found (Personally) this proved to be a real challenge that adds to my enjoyment, (then if its flown away - move on Tongue)

I have been looking into a SLR at a number of price ranges from basic mainstream Cameras with the standard 2 lens kits to some body only Pro stuff which could cause my marriage to get..

I found that with most bottom end cameras and lens packages I would be just as happy to stick with my HS10. When you start getting into the pro series then the difference becomes quite clear in both build quality and capabilities.

What I have also learned by a few in store tests and various conversations with contacts 'In the know' that its not all about the Mega-pixels!..

The HS20 on paper looks a good improvement to the HS10 with the newer EXR sensors and added mega-pixels but with the same 58mm (I find) overly zoomed lens which I hardly use would this be much more of a challenge?

I love fuji, I find this site and the community very friendly, Which took me to looking at a second hand Fuji s5 Pro (2009) 12.1mp with (16000 clicks) which is based on the Nikon d200. And after sourcing a decent 300mm macro lens also second user you can be paying as much as some entry level SLR kits..

Any advice appreciated.

Matt

0 people like this.

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 02/09/2011 - 09:34
Comment

I am SO glad I have the HS20. Enough said...

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 02/09/2011 - 23:35
Comment

Hi Matt

If you're thinking of going for an S5Pro, you won't find a more comprehensive review and test than this one

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5pro/

H

PS Sorry, cldn't seem to insert a proper hyperlink, but good old copy & paste of the above into search engine will bring up the review.

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 03/09/2011 - 17:59
Comment

Well i started digital photography with a Fuji S5000 and moved on to a Fuji S3 Pro and havent looked back i think it is a wonderfull piece of kit, and the funny comments from people when they see it ( yea gods look at the size of that camera ) and i have to remind them at one time most cameras were that size. But as for the S5 i think you will love it.

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 03/09/2011 - 19:18
Comment

I think you have to bear in mind that when you purchase a DSLR you are only purchasing the entry into a larger system  The DSLR body is just the first part.  Where the DSLR beats the bridge camera is not necessarily in what you get in a basic package but the fact that it allows it 'grow' and be part of a system that can tackle prety much anything.  The bridge camera, even an extremely good one like the HS10, is, ultimately, more limited.

Of course the realities, such as finances, will limit how far you can build a system around the DSLR.

The S5pro is a superb camera and 1600 activations is not a lot ( I think, like Nikon pro gear, they are calibrated for a min of 300,000)

I would do a great deal of research and remember that what you choose now will almost certainly dictate the future.  Peopel rarely switch systems once they have made the initial investment.

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 04/09/2011 - 00:00
Comment

Hi Paul.

The D200 body shutter expected life span was 150,000.

The 300,000 shutter count lifespan came in with the D3 series but not the D300 which is still 150,000. I don't know whether the shutter system in the Fuji S5Pro is Nikon or Fuji though. The Body comes from the D200 but I think that's all. In the S2Pro it's a Fuji shutter and you can hear the difference. It's louder and longer for a given shutter speed as the mechanism seems different. You can feel the movement while you hold it.

Remember it's an expected life span and some cameras fail well before that and some go on well beyond.

You are right about buying into a system but it's only a system once you acquire more than three lenses. Right now I have four lenses and a TC so I assume 'I'm locked in'

I say three because most people don't rush out and buy expensive lenses or more than two straight away.  A body and two lenses is a loss if you sell them but  not so much if you really dislike the system. I suppose other things like remotes and flashes also play a part and those can mount up in cost. If you go for Nikon at least you can use the lenses on a Canon body if you get an adaptor. You can't do it the other way around. The real problems come if you choose FX over two thirds or buy a body without an internal focusing motor when thinking about this and most people don't.

Those choices can make further purchases more expensive of cheaper.

I also believe that going out and buying a DSLR won't automatically make your photos better in quality. It may but it's not guaranteed.

Most upgrades should be because of a deficiency in your present equipment that can't be overcome by better technique or knowledge.

My Tutorials

My Blogs. 

&

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 05/09/2011 - 04:32
Comment

Thanks guys for all your input! Much appreciated. 

I have just bought a new kit and will let ya know how I get on when I have a chance to play Smile

Managed to get a Aug 2009 s5 pro with a Nikon d200 grip and a Sigma 28-300mm  f3.5 (with macro) lens that I managed to squeeze into the deal. Also a 55-200mm f2.8 Nikon.

This one only has 7000 clicks as it was one of three s5's he has.. being a lecturer of science he only used this one for holidaying in France 3 times. Its quite immaculate. Those 7000 shots cost him a small fortune. It was quite difficult to find one for sale here in the Netherlands, Only 3 in total on all the major sites used here.

Thanks again for your input, Here is one shot I did manage to take on Saturday Smile

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 05/09/2011 - 08:23
Comment

Nice one!! I hope you enjoy it.  I have the same Sigma 28-300 here and have never taken a single shot with it!  I purchased it secondhand and then had a change of heart and bought my initial choice -  a new 28-300 Nikkor.

I should really give it an outing.. lol

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 06/09/2011 - 15:38
Comment

Congratulations - the S5 is still a fine camera. Fantastic dynamic range, wonderful skin tones, and excellent colour response. The straight out of camera jpgs are better than most too....

I hope you enjoy it!

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 10/09/2011 - 11:37
Comment

Bump

RAW  tutorial http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/article/83/146826

Processing Photos tutorial http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/article/83/147565

Be what you are, say what you feel, 'cos those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.