LoginRegister

FinePix HS10

FinePix HS10Members and their FinePix HS10View now

FinePix X100

Twitter

Follow

MFP Facebook

FujiShop

Fujifilm digital cameras, accessories, memory cards all sold direct from Fujifilm UK

Get involved!

HS10 tracking focus

I'm having problems with the tracking focus on my new HS10. As I understood it from the instructions and the Fuji website, the camera should be able to track a moving object and keep it in focus whilst the shutter button is depressed halfway. when you want to take the picture, fully depress the button and the shot should be made.

When I use auto tracking, the green frame icon tracks moving objects untill I depress the shutter button halfway, it then locks the focus and stops tracking. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

0 people like this.

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 31/10/2010 - 19:35
Comment

have you got a continuous focus option?

if so sellect that instead of single focus.

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 31/10/2010 - 19:46
Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

If you select continuous focus the tracking focus option is no longer present.

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 31/10/2010 - 20:30
Comment

Hi

I am still very new and only have my HS10 3 weeks now I just had a look and as far I can see to be able to focus all you need to do is press the right arrow on the dail (macro sign) and that will start the tracking and that should focus and then take picture

It doen't seem to work if you press button halve way

See if that will do it, let me know if it works

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 31/10/2010 - 20:47
Comment

Hi,

Pressing the macro button starts the tracking but there is no way I can see of then getting to take the picture without the camera going back into focus lock as you press the shutter button down.

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 31/10/2010 - 21:03
Comment

I've not used this but if the tracking is working until you press the button half way then surely the answer is wait until you need the picture taken and just do a full press which is what I think dinkydutch meant.

My Tutorials

My Blogs. 

&

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 01/11/2010 - 07:39
Comment

Hi and thanks for all the replies so far.

Ray, if you do a 'full press' of the sutter button the camera still goes into re-focus and then focus lock before taking the picture. By the time it's done that the object has gone.

Basically you can't get from not pressing the shutter button to fully depressed without going through the focus lock part.

Regards.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 01/11/2010 - 11:49
Comment

I can't really see how any bridge camera can truly track focus like a DSLR, using the present contrast method of focussing, and focus lock facility ?

It will continually autofocus, if set on "continuous" as mentioned above, but that is not actually tracking focus... it just enables the camera to finally focus quicker when the shutter is half pressed.

Alan.

Finepix S5600 & Finepix S100fs

My Gallery  http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/gallery/22090

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 01/11/2010 - 14:17
Comment

The funny thing is that I never tried that function out on the HS10 while I had one for test but with the Z700EXR touch screen compact all you had to do was touch the screen where you wanted the focus to be and it took the picture as soon as it had lock.

After looking at page 50 of the HS10 pdf manual and not having a camera to check it with I am unsure of the autotracking capabilities as written.

First it says you must use AF-S. So if you are saying it won't work in AF-S there's something wrong.

Second it will not work in macro modes.

After that if I read it right ( and I'm not sure about this ) it seems that ( Center ) is a normal focus mode. (MULTI) selects near the center of the frame and is the only one that works with the shutter half pressed. (AREA) is for tripod mounting and getting an off center focus point. (TRACKING) seems unclear whether the camera should be still or not but interestingly the diagram shows an 'M' in the top left corner.

Does that indicate that this mode only works in manual?

Are you trying this in manual and if not maybe that's why AF-S isn't working.

The diagram is nearly the same as on page 32 that shows the view of the viewfinder in manual.

My Tutorials

My Blogs. 

&

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 01/11/2010 - 15:23
Comment

Yeah, I think it is flawed.  I prefer 11 point 3D tracking on the Nikon cameras to be honest.

Reply to comment

Date Mon, 01/11/2010 - 21:59
Comment

I used the tracking on manual but you need to make sure that your focus is locked-in on the subject to test this by pressing the button halve way and the green light is on (I believe this tells you that the exposure is right) if the green light flashes it has not been able to focus properly (try and change your F stops, shutter speed and ISO)  then get your subject in the square and start tracking and full press when you ready.

I hope this helps

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 02/11/2010 - 07:44
Comment

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

I'm pretty sure I've tried it in manual mode but i will try again tonight and see what happens. I will report back ASAP.

Thanks again.

Mark.