You are not logged in

LoginRegister

FinePix X100

Twitter

Follow

MFP Facebook

FujiShop

Fujifilm digital cameras, accessories, memory cards all sold direct from Fujifilm UK

Get involved!

New design cable release for HS10

After looking at all the available cable release devices that I could buy to use on my HS10, I decided that none of them looked very good or very practical. So I designed this attachment which is a precision laser cut shape made from stainless steel and is easily stored away when not in use, it is extremely easy to fit and remove in seconds. It does not obstruct the flash or buttons and aligns perfectly with the camera shutter button every time and is sensitive enough to allow you to focus by half pressing the button. Below is a picture of the eye of a needle taken using this cable release on a tripod mounted camera with a Raynox lens attached, what do you think?

The actual bracket & cable fitted to my HS10 camera.

1 person likes this.

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 23/02/2011 - 15:54
Comment

You should patent and market it.

Probably the best bit of home engineering I've seen to date.

The only slight criticism is it doesn't allow access to the controls above.

My Tutorials

My Blogs. 

&

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 23/02/2011 - 16:05
Comment

Brilliant....there'll certainly be a market for it on here if the price was right.

Jim

'Bokeh' Competition entry:- http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/competition/entry/697372

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 23/02/2011 - 16:45
Comment

Nice bit of work is that.

How about a "C" bracket that uses the tripod mount hole, so that the top controls and hot shoe aren't obstructed. The "press" action would not strain the hot shoe, you could use thinner/narrower metal, could fit it between the camera and tripod quick release plate, and by adding a couple of thin PTFE washers could swivel it forward out of the way if needed.

Or has someone already done that ?

Only 3 years and 7 months before I retire...

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 23/02/2011 - 17:41
Comment

Thanks for your comments, to answer your points.

You can access all the biuttons and dials, but if you have big fingers like mine (Engineers fingers) the only ones that are slightly awkward but not difficult are the main on off switch which has to be rotated from the front using my finger nail and the small +/- button on the top, but all of the cameras buttons and dials are still visible and accesible.

My main purpose was to avoid using the tripod mounting hole as that complicates the simplicity of fitting it to the camera, especially if you use a tripod, this way it works on and off a tripod.

I was not trying to still use the hot shoe at the same time because the camera flash is still fully functional with the bracket fitted.

The strain does not occur on the hot shoe as the design allows for excess pressure.

I did have to produce a certain amount with the profiling program I wrote to cut the finished shape out as the shape is critical, so I may sell the surplus ones if there is enough interest to make it worth while.

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 23/02/2011 - 19:12
Comment

Well done, you beat me to it!

I have been working on a very similar construction, main difference is that mine is made from 3mm aluminium with a hole to access the buttons behind the shutter release (can be done with the tip of my little finger) and the material above the shutter release button is straight allowing easy access to the on/off switch, I intend to angle the hole for the thread of the cable release instead, not quite finished yet, might have it ready by the weekend, will post an image of the construction when it's finished.

I agree entirely about not using the tripod thread for this kind of construction, if for no other reason than it looks terrible! originally I thought about using a very small area of the strap fitting point for anchoring the contruction in case of strain due to leverage but my construction should also allow for this, yours is the more elegant construction if you wanted to sell the product, mine is just for my own personal use.

Mike

BLOG

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 23/02/2011 - 20:28
Comment

Great job ... get in touch with fuji and see if they will sell it as a retro-fit Wink hehe
R:)

Disability March Blog

website plaything

Basil Photographer of the year 2011

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 23/02/2011 - 21:48
Comment

That's an impressive piece of design

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 12/03/2011 - 22:04
Comment

Well folks I am the proud owner of one of Terry's brackets. It arrived today Saturday and I have nearly worn out my HS10 trying it in all situations. It runs like the proverbial 'Singer sewing machine' both with my 15" release and also holding the 25' air release. The fitting is absoloutely spot on, the bracket is highly portable and more to the point fills the gap that Fuji for some reason built into the camera. I have a canon 450d with a great macro lens but now will be able to use the camera I prefer.

Well done Terry and thanks again,  I hope you put this item on general sale after having taken a patent on it. Anyone suffering as I was should without fail contact Terry.

Iain Paterson

Doncaster

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 12/03/2011 - 22:56
Comment

I'm sure using the delay timer @ 2secs would remove the need for this fine piece of engineering?

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 12/03/2011 - 23:24
Comment

Thank you Iain, I am very happy that you found it useful especially as I had not tried it myself with the air release cable.

Quote.

I'm sure using the delay timer @ 2secs would remove the need for this fine piece of engineering?

Not if you want to do super macro or remote photography.

We are all aware of the timer settings, but why do you think I bothered to produce this item if there was no use for it? I made my original post to show what could be done to resolve a particular problem, Iain showed interest and received one of the few spare ones I have, no big deal, I am hardly likely to get rich from it.

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 13/03/2011 - 13:03
Comment

Hello, - Definitely interested in this - Please E-mail me with details, of how I can obtain one! - Looks to be an excellent piece of ingenious kit! -

Regards,

HS10 User

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 13/03/2011 - 18:50
Comment

I cant believe the comment by Colin re the two second timer perhaps if he could tell me the mathematical formula for working out where a bird or insect may be some two seconds after setting the timer i will give it a go. That is to say that the said creature stays there when i have been clouting about round the camera.

Sorry Colin but there is a great need for remote releases in my interest in nature and that of Terry's in other macro work

Iain Paterson

Doncaster

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 13/03/2011 - 20:26
Comment

HS10 & any other interested parties should use my contact button on my profile and leave me an email address to get back to you on, as unfortunately some members do not have their own contact buttons activated in their profiles. I have a limited amount of these brackets available.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 24/03/2011 - 22:05
Comment

I bought one of the spare brackets Terry had, and it is a great piece of kit.

Anyone else thinking of getting one...do it.

These should be on the market, and Terrys service shames many a major retailer/manufacturer.

Thanks Terry.

Reply to comment

Date Sun, 27/03/2011 - 11:19
Comment

Thank you JumboSlim for the kind comments.

I am pleased to say that everyone who has obtained one of these brackets from me seems to be very happy with it. As an update, I recently purchased myself an air release tube to supplement my cable release and it fits straight onto the bracket and it works a treat, so for a bit of remote photography it may be worth getting one.

Air Release fitted to my bracket

Practice picture taken with the bracket with an air release fitted.

Reply to comment

Date Thu, 31/03/2011 - 20:29
Comment

Would anyone wishing to contact me regarding obtaining the bracket please remember to include their own email address when they use this sites 'member contact button' to get in touch with me, as some requests have left no contact email details.

Thanks

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 01/04/2011 - 15:51
Comment

Still do not know why a major camera manufacturer would design a bridge device with no remote option at all.

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 02/04/2011 - 12:41
Comment

It does make you wonder why such a basic and useful facility was omitted, but it must happen with other cameras if you look at all the paraphernalia available out there to try and deal with the problem, everything from tripod clamps to inflatable air bags are on sale.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 05/04/2011 - 20:16
Comment

i have just bought one and can say what a asset this will be thanks Terry

Keith

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 13/04/2011 - 11:22
Comment

Terry, I sent a private message to your profile with my email address. I would very much like to buy a bracket, if you have any of those left.

Reply to comment

Date Fri, 15/04/2011 - 17:16
Comment

Thanks for your positive feedback Keith Smile

And Arto, yes I still have a few left and I did email you back with the details.

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 25/06/2011 - 08:57
Comment

i have just obtained one of these from Terry, and to say I am pleased with it is an understatement. For a start, the bracket itself is very well made and robust and of good appearance - there's nothing overtly homemade or Heath Robinson about it. Secondly, fitting to and removing from the camera is a piece of cake, thanks to Terry's very clear instructions. Once fitted, it is as easy to use as a 'normal' cable release on my older SLRs. There is a slight masking of the top controls, but hardly insurmountable.

I can recommend Terry's device to anyone who has been missing the facility of a cable release from the HS10. With this fitted, and the camera mounted on a tripod, and with the rear viewing screen rotated 90 degrees so you can look down onto it, this makes taking close-ups and/or groups a heck of a lot simpler and more effective.

Well done, Terry!

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 25/06/2011 - 11:04
Comment

Nice job.  Looks good and sturdy.  I used a velcro strap-on adapter when I had my Canon EOS 1000 35mm.  It strapped nicely over the protruding handgrip, leaving all the buttons and hotshoe accessable.  It also had the benefit of being able to be used for other makes and sizes of camera.

However, not as sturdy as yours!

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 25/06/2011 - 13:50
Comment

Thank you very much Brian, I am really pleased that you are happy with it and trust you will continue to find it useful. If I did not already mention it to you, it will also work with the pneumatic bulb operated releases that are available from several outlets on the web.

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 25/06/2011 - 17:01
Comment

Nice piece of invention. If I were you, I'd have it patented before somebody else does, like me because I'm M.E. (jus' kiddin' Wink ). Seriously, do it. 

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 25/06/2011 - 20:17
Comment

Thanks for the advice, but it would require my own computer programme to replicate it exactly, anything else would just be similar and not the same. I doubt it would be worth anyone’s effort to produce them commercially as the demand would not be that great for a single camera and of course if there was, then the Chinese would just rip it off anyway. Wink

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 12/07/2011 - 19:13
Comment

Terry after just receiving one of your brackets (with cable) I thought I'd say a few words for anyone considering getting one.

Firstly, what a neat bit of kit, it fitted perfectly and securely following your comprehensive instructions sent with the bracket and cable. I have taken a few test shots and am more than happy. Communication was great right from the start and price was very reasonable and speedy delivery. 

I am well pleased and can recommend Terry ans his product.

Danny 

Reply to comment

Date Wed, 13/07/2011 - 09:29
Comment

Thank you very much for saying so Danny, to date everyone does seems to be very pleased with it, but I now have only a few remaining from the initial minimum batch that I had to produce when I made my own original cable release bracket.

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 18/10/2011 - 16:04
Comment

Hi, I would like one of these,But i can not see how to contact you.

I am new to  photography,Please drop by my gallery and give me some hints.

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/gallery/391428

Reply to comment

Date Tue, 18/10/2011 - 20:48
Comment

Hello Tafilad, if you click on my user name above it will take you to my profile, click the contact button at the top and send me an email with your contact details and I will get back to you via your personal mail as your own message will go via the Fuji site. I have tried to contact you via your own contact button but since the latest anti spamming measures were put into place it is almost impossible to use as the verification box is always covered by the Captcha letters, whoever wrote that piece of rubbish needs to sort it out. You may receive nothing from me or up to ten emails depending if any of the attempts actually worked, which I doubt.

Anyway if you have no joy within a day or so post on here again and I will try to sort something else out with you.