You are not logged in

LoginRegister

FinePix X100

Twitter

Follow

MFP Facebook

FujiShop

Fujifilm digital cameras, accessories, memory cards all sold direct from Fujifilm UK

Get involved!

Help Re: Optical zoom & digital

Hi was wondering:-

1. What is the difference between Optical Zoom & Digital Zoom.

2. Should i use my camera just on Optial Zoom or should i have both Optical & Digital zoom on.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Jenny x

0 people like this.

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 30/07/2011 - 21:26
Comment

Optical zoom uses the optics (lens) of the camera to bring the subject closer.

Digital zoom is not really zoom, in the strictest definition of the term. What digital zoom does is enlarge a portion of the image, thus ‘simulating’ optical zoom. In other words, the camera crops a portion of the image and then enlarges it back to size. In so doing, you lose image quality. If you’ve been regularly using digital zoom and wondered why your pictures did not look that great, now you know.

You'll have a better final quality to your image by just using the optical zoom on your camera, and cropping closer using your editing software on your PC if you need to.

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 30/07/2011 - 21:37
Comment

Ahh thanks for that Klovibond. I now understand.

Luckily i have only just found the Digital Zoom button today so haven't used it yet & now i no to keep it turned off Smile x

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 30/07/2011 - 21:38
Comment

What he said Smile

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 30/07/2011 - 22:27
Comment

Lol thanks bluebottle x

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 30/07/2011 - 23:23
Comment

From the point of view of taking pictures, digital zoom is a bit of a fake, in that you can do the same thing later (and better) in your computer. But for looking at pictures on your camera display, it has its uses, as you can look closer at a bit of your picture, to see if it is as you want it to be - if not, you can take it again. Be aware that this only lets you look closer, there is no more detail taken over and above the original shot. i.e., there is no actual "zooming" done.

George

Reply to comment

Date Sat, 30/07/2011 - 23:25
Comment

Thank you for your advice George x